RARE Old Real Photo Postcard. For offer - a nice Real Photo Postcard! Never offered on the market until now. Vintage, Old, antique, Original - NOT a Reproduction - Guaranteed!!
Manuscript message on back talks about this scene. With postal postmark and stamp. Interesting graffiti on building to right. L ocated on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway sixteen miles north of Menominee.
In good to very good condition. If you collect postcards, 20th century history, advertising ad, postal, photography, etc.
This is a nice one for your paper or ephemera collection. Mellen Township is a civil township of Menominee County in the U. The population was 1,260 at the 2000 census. It is named after pioneer settler Mellen Smith (18291905), who served as the first postmaster at Wallace.
Wallace is an unincorporated community located 15 miles north of Menominee on US Highway 41. It is a small village with the DeYoung Zoo, a used-car dealership, a tavern, lumber yard, post office, ice maker, wood businesses, grocery market, service station, and a liquidator store. There are also three churches: Country Bible Church (non-denominational), a Covenant Church, and a Lutheran church.
The Mellen Elementary School is also located in Wallace. Wallace was originally called Wallace's Siding after Wallace Sutherland,  who was assigned to the railroad depot. It was then shorted to Wallace by the time the post office was established in 1877. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 31.4 square miles (81 km2), of which 30.8 square miles (80 km2) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) (1.88%) is water.
The Hannahville Indian Community occupies several scattered territories within Menominee County, mostly within Harris Township and a small piece extending into Gourley Township. Another smaller piece extends east into neighboring Bark River Township in Delta County. Menominee County is a county located in the Upper Peninsula in the U. As of the 2010 census, the population was 24,029.  The county seat is Menominee.
 The county's name comes from an American Indian word meaning "wild rice eater" used to describe a tribe. The county was created in 1861 from area partitioned out of Delta County, under the name of Bleeker.
When county government was organized in 1863, the name was changed to Menominee. Menominee County is part of the Marinette, WIMI Micropolitan Statistical Area. The Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (reporting mark CNW) was a Class I railroad in the Midwestern United States.It was also known as the "North Western". The railroad operated more than 5,000 miles (8,000 km) of track as of the turn of the 20th century, and over 12,000 miles (19,000 km) of track in seven states before retrenchment in the late 1970s. The C&NW became one of the longest railroads in the United States as a result of mergers with other railroads, such as the Chicago Great Western Railway, Minneapolis and St. By 1995, track sales and abandonment had reduced the total mileage to about 5,000. Large line sales, such as those that resulted in the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroad, further helped reduce the railroad to a mainline core with several regional feeders and branches.
Chicago and North Western's Wells Street Station, ca. The old Chicago and North Western Terminal ca.
1912, soon after its completion. The office building for the railroad in Chicago circa 1908. Paul and Fond du Lac Railroad. On February 15, 1865, it merged with the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad, which had been chartered on January 16, 1836.Since the Galena & Chicago Union started operating in December 1848, and the Fond du Lac railroad started in March 1855, the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad is considered to be the origin of the North Western railroad system. Peter Railroad was added to the network in 1867. Changing traffic patterns and competition with automobiles and trucking disrupted the railroad's profitability by mid-20th century.
After nine years in bankruptcy, the C. It had turned rapidly to diesel power, and established a huge diesel shop in Chicago. Potatoes from the west were a main crop loading of the C. And its potato sheds in Chicago were the nation's largest. It also carried western sugar beets and huge amounts of corn and wheat.This road, like other lines depending strongly on transportation of crops, was adversely affected by government agricultural credit policies which sealed a lot of products on the farms where they were produced. Although it stood sixteenth in operating revenue in 1938, it was eighth in passenger revenue among American railroads. It served Chicago commuters; its 400 streamliners provided intercity transportation, and it provided an eastern link to bring the Union Pacific's passengers from Omaha, Nebraska and points west to Chicago. The North Western had owned a majority of the stock of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway (Omaha Road) since 1882. On January 1, 1957, it leased the company, and merged it into the North Western in 1972. The Omaha Road's main line extended from an interchange with the North Western at Elroy, Wisconsin, to the Twin Cities, south to Sioux City, Iowa, and then finally to Omaha, Nebraska. C&NW caboose at Proviso yard, Chicago, April 1943. C&NW railway station in Escanaba, Michigan, 1953. The North Western acquired several important short railroads during its later years. It completed acquisition of the Litchfield and Madison Railway on January 1, 1958. The Litchfield and Madison railroad was a 44-mile (71 km) bridge road from East St. On July 30, 1968, the North Western acquired two former interurbans the 36-mile (58 km) Des Moines and Central Iowa Railway (DM&CI), and the 110-mile (180 km) Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern Railway (FDDM&S).
The DM&CI gave access to the Firestone plant in Des Moines, Iowa, and the FDDM&S provided access to gypsum mills in Fort Dodge, Iowa. On November 1, 1960, the North Western acquired the rail properties of the 1,500-mile (2,400 km) Minneapolis and St. In spite of its name, it ran only from Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Peoria, Illinois. This acquisition provided traffic and modern rolling stock, and eliminated competition. On July 1, 1968, the 1,500 mi (2,400 km) Chicago Great Western Railway merged with the North Western.
This railroad extended between Chicago and Oelwein, Iowa. From there lines went to the Twin Cities, Omaha, Nebraska, and Kansas City, Missouri. A connection from Hayfield, Minnesota, to Clarion, Iowa, provided a Twin Cities to Omaha main line. The Chicago Great Western duplicated the North Western's routes from Chicago to the Twin Cities and Omaha, but went the long way. This merger provided access to Kansas City and further eliminated competition.
After abandoning a plan to merge with the Milwaukee Road in 1970, Benjamin W. Heineman, who headed the CNW and parent Northwest Industries since 1956, arranged the sale of the railroad to its employees in 1972; they formed Northwest Industries to take over the CNW in 1968.  The words "Employee Owned" were part of the company logo in the ensuing period. The railroad was renamed from Chicago and North Western Railway to Chicago and North Western Transportation Company. The railroad's reporting marks (CNW) remained the same.
The line was well-engineered, but because of deferred maintenance on the part of the bankrupt Rock Island, it required a major rehabilitation in 1984. The company then began to abandon the Oelwein to Kansas City section of its former Chicago Great Western trackage, which duplicated Spine Line service. In 1985, the CNW Corporation was formed to take over the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company; the employee-owned stock of the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company was transferred to the new CNW Corporation.
In 1988, the Blackstone Capital Partners, L. Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation (or "CNW Holdings Corporation" and "Chicago and North Western Holdings Company") was formed and took control of the Chicago and North Western Acquisition Corporation which controlled the CNW Corporation and which the CNW Corporation controlled the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company. The Chicago and North Western corporate structure under the Blackstone ownership:.
Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation. Chicago and North Western Acquisition Corporation.
Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (formerly Chicago and North Western Railway). In February 1994, the Chicago and North Western Acquisition Corporation and the CNW Corporation merged into the Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation, leaving only the Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation and the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company. In May 1994, the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company reverted to its original name, Chicago and North Western Railway and the Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation was renamed to the second Chicago and North Western Transportation Company. The Chicago and North Western corporate structure now follows. Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (formerly Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation).
Chicago and North Western Railway (formerly Chicago and North Western Transportation Company). In April 1995, the Union Pacific Corporation acquired the former Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation (the second Chicago and North Western Transportation Company) under subsidiary UP Rail or UP Rail, Inc.
, Union Pacific now controls the former Chicago and North Western Holdings Corporation (now the second Chicago and North Western Transportation Company) and the Chicago and North Western Railway (formerly the first Chicago and North Western Transportation Company) under UP Rail subsidiary. The Chicago and North Western corporate structure under Union Pacific ownership.
UP Rail or UP Rail, Inc. The Union Pacific Corporation merged UP Rail into the Union Pacific Railroad and then merged the second Chicago and North Western Transportation Company and the Chicago and North Western Railway into the Union Pacific Railroad; the Chicago and North Western system is now part of the Union Pacific Railroad system.
 A joint UP-CNW subsidiary, Western Railroad Properties, Inc. Was also merged into the Union Pacific system in the acquisition. UP Heritage Unit#1995 and the two C&NW Dash 9s (CNW 8646 & 8701) lead a train through Rochelle Railroad Park.
Steam locomotives of the Chicago & North Western Railway in the roundhouse at the Chicago rail yards (December 1942). Chicago and North Western locomotives continued to operate in their own paint schemes for several years after the acquisition although some of them were gradually repainted into UP colors.Many former C&NW units have received "patches" with a new road number and reporting mark to match their new owner's roster. Only 1 "patched" unit remains on the Union Pacific, UP 6706, and several others work under different owners. However, it is still possible to find untouched C&NW units in service. For instance CNW 1518, CNW 411, CNW 414 (METX 308), and CNW 6847 are preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum, CNW 4153 now works at a grain elevator in Fremont, Nebraska, and several other GP7s, GP9s, and a few other C&NW locomotives are owned by various regional railroads, short lines, or industries. Union Pacific continues to follow its new tradition of releasing "Heritage" EMD SD70ACe units to represent the paint schemes of companies absorbed by UP. After completion of painting at the Wisconsin and Southern Railroad's Horicon, Wisconsin shop, UP 1995, painted in a "Heritage" C&NW paint scheme, was unveiled on July 15, 2006, at North Western Station in Chicago, Illinois. The former North Western Station, now known as the Ogilvie Transportation Center, now serves as UP's Metra terminus for its three lines (Union Pacific/West Line, Union Pacific/Northwest Line, and Union Pacific/North Line). However, many longtime Chicago residents still refer to the station as "North Western Station, " and many longtime employees still call it "CPT, " for Chicago Passenger Terminal. Route miles operated at end of year.
Advertisement for C&NWRY passenger service, 1898. This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. In particular, the following section contains false or inaccurate dates. Colony Line was not built yet. Please help us clarify the section.
There might be a discussion about this on the talk page. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message). The CNW's most famous train, the Twin Cities 400 from Chicago to Minneapolis/St.
Paul, was introduced in 1935 to compete with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy's Zephyrs and the Milwaukee Road's Hiawathas. This train was named so, because it traveled the 400 mi (640 km) between the cities in 400 minutes. CNW was the first system to start a high-speed Chicago-Twin Cities schedule because it used refurbished instead of new equipment, but in 1939, modernized the 400 with new E3A diesel locomotive pairs and streamlined cars. Other named trains the CNW operated included the Ashland Limited, Duluth-Superior Limited, and the North Western Limited CNW eventually renamed the first 400 to the Twin Cities 400 as the CNW labeled almost all of its passenger trains with variations of the 400 moniker, including the Flambeau 400, Minnesota 400, Valley "400", Shoreland "400", Dakota 400 and the Kate Shelley 400. CNW ceased running the Twin Cities 400 in 1963, and all intercity passenger service on CNW ended with the formation of Amtrak in 1971. Amtrak bought a dozen of C&NW's bilevel railcars and painted them into Phase III paint. They are not in use today. In conjunction with Union Pacific and Southern Pacific, the North Western operated some long distance passenger trains, including the Overland Limited, City of Los Angeles, City of San Francisco, City of Denver, and the Challenger. These services lasted from 1889 to 1955, after which the CNW route to Chicago was changed to the Milwaukee Road's on account of poor track conditions. A C&NW commuter train at Oak Park, 1968. A cab car leads an inbound Northwest Line train through Irving Park. Most commuter rail lines in Chicago, including today's Metra, used cars of this design. Chicago and North Western also operated commuter train service in the Chicago area, where they developed what was perhaps the first control car. A modified gallery car was built in 1960 with locomotive controls to allow push-pull operation. Today, it is preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum.  The C&NW also pioneered the concept of Head End Power (HEP), generating 480 volt electricity from the locomotive to power the air conditioning, lighting, and heating on the new bi-level cars. This eventually became the standard for all railroads in the United States. Three commuter lines radiated from North Western Station; the C&NW West Line to Geneva, Illinois; the C&NW Northwest Line to Harvard, Illinois; and the C&NW North Line to Kenosha, Wisconsin. All three are still operated by Metra.
At Crystal Lake Junction, some trains branched off to Williams Bay and Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The West Line also had branches to St.Charles, Aurora, Freeport, and Crystal Lake. A fourth commuter line operated on the KD Line between Kenosha and Harvard until 1939. In 1974, responsibility for the commuter lines and equipment ownership transferred to the newly formed Regional Transportation Authority, later branded in 1983 as Metra.
This arrangement continues with the Union Pacific today. All three C&NW commuter lines live on in the Metra system, with the Geneva line having been extended west to Elburn; however, service on the branch to Williams Bay was gradually cut back over the years, also resulting in changes to the name of the branch. In 1965, service was abandoned between Williams Bay and Lake Geneva. In 1975, service ended between Lake Geneva and Richmond. In 1981, service between McHenry and Richmond ended.Rails and ties north of the Cargill plant in Ringwood were removed during the 1980s, and the right of way converted to a trail. Service was discontinued to St. Service between Geneva and Aurora and Elgin and Crystal Lake was discontinued in the early 1930s. Service to Freeport ceased in the late 1940s. A set of WRRS Center Harp shortie wigwag signals commonly seen on the C&NW during the 20th Century.
The CNW was known for running on the left-hand side when running on double track mainlines. In the United States, most railroads used the right-hand track along double-track mainlines, while left-hand running was more common in countries where British companies built the railroads. According to a display in the Lake Forest station, the reason for this was a combination of chance and inertia. When originally built as single-line trackage, the C&NW arbitrarily placed its stations on the left-hand side of the tracks (when headed inbound toward Chicago). Later, when a second track was added, it was placed on the side away from the stations so as not to force them to relocate.Since most passengers waiting at the stations were headed toward Chicago, the inbound track remained the one closest to the station platforms. The expense of reconfiguring signals and switches has prevented a conversion to right-hand operation ever since. The Chicago and North Western was known for its installation of Western Railroad Supply Company wigwag signals at many of its crossing in the 19201940s. Almost every town on their route had at least the main crossing in town protected by them. The most common style were the Center Harp shorties.
They were almost iconic to the CNW. Lack of available parts and upgrades to roads have replaced all but a few of them. The Wood Street "potato yard" in 1959 with boxcars filled with potatoes. The railroad operated what was once the largest "potato yard" or potato market, at its Chicago Wood Street yards. Potatoes came to the yard from every point in the United States to be bought or traded by produce dealers and brokers.In 1891, the CNW adopted the famous "ball and bar" logo, which survived a few modifications throughout its 104-year existence. This included the changing of text. CNW shop forces economized wherever possible, earning the railroad the nickname Cheap and Nothing Wasted. " Sometimes employees referred to the condition of equipment as "Cardboard and No Wheels. The Cowboy Trail is a rail trail that follows the abandoned CNW line between Chadron, Nebraska and Norfolk, Nebraska. When completed, it will be 321 miles in length. The Sangamon Valley Trail is another rail trail, currently 5.5-mile (8.9 km) in length, on the west side of Sangamon County in Illinois, which skirts Springfield, Illinois. It is a segment of a former St.
Louis, Peoria and North Western Railway 38-mile (61.2 km) right-of-way (which was later folded into the CNW) that has been set aside for rail trail use. The entire right-of-way connects Girard, Illinois, on the south end, to Athens, Illinois, at the north end. The right-of-way spans the western half of Sangamon County in a north-south direction, and also traverses small sections of Macoupin County and Menard County. The Wild Rivers Trail is a 104 mile long rail trail that follows the abandoned CNW line between Rice Lake, Wisconsin and Superior, Wisconsin. Cobb, Chicago industrialist and philanthropist, former member of C & NW board of directors.
Clarence Darrow, noted attorney and a former Chief Counsel for the C & NW. Albert Hammond, Wisconsin State Assemblyman. Charles Ingalls, De Smet, South Dakota (18791880); father of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Carl Ingold Jacobson, Los Angeles, California; City Council member, 19251933. Ogden, the first mayor of Chicago and the first President of the C & NW. Merritt Clarke Ring, Neillsville, Wisconsin; lawyer and politician.
Abe Saperstein, founder of the Harlem Globetrotters. Smith, Chicago, Illinois, politician and businessman. George Gilbert Swain, Delton, Wisconsin, politician. Chicago and North Western Historical Society. The Chicago and North Western Historical Society was organized by a number of railfans in 1973.
The Society's purpose is to preserve the history and memory of the Chicago and North Western Railway through the publication of a quarterly magazine, the preservation of railroad paraphernalia, and an Annual Meet. The Society's journal, North Western Lines, is published four times a year. Chicago and North Western 1385. List of Chicago and North Western Railway locomotives. Graffiti (both singular and plural; the singular graffito is very rare in English except in archeology) is writing or drawings made on a wall or other surface, usually as a form of artistic expression, without permission and within public view.
 Graffiti ranges from simple written words to elaborate wall paintings, and has existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. In modern times, spray paint and marker pens have become commonly used graffiti materials, and there are many different types and styles of graffiti, it is a rapidly developing art form. Graffiti is a controversial subject. In most countries, marking or painting property without permission is considered by property owners and civic authorities as defacement and vandalism, which is a punishable crime, citing the use of graffiti by street gangs to mark territory or to serve as an indicator of gang-related activities.
 Graffiti has become visualized as a growing urban problem for many cities in industrialized nations, spreading from the New York City subway system in the early 1970s to the rest of the United States and Europe and other world regions.  On the other hand, graffiti artists, particularly marginalized artists with no access to mainstream media, resist this viewpoint to display their art or political views in public locations. The life of artist Jean-Michel Basquiat illustrates the subjective nature of the public response to graffiti.
The item "SUPER RPPC Wallace MI Michigan Railroad Depot Station 1907 Real Photo Mellen" is in sale since Thursday, January 9, 2020. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Postcards\US States, Cities & Towns\Michigan". The seller is "dalebooks" and is located in Rochester, New York.
This item can be shipped worldwide.